Advice on choosing an English School abroad
Are you looking for a good English language school abroad?
Here is some advice…
The best way to learn English is to spend time immersed in the language and culture of an English speaking country.
The important thing to remember when choosing an English language school abroad is to keep your goals and preferences in mind in order to make the right decisions:
Your goal may be to learn English in preparation for a job or to study abroad
Choose a school that prepares you for national and international certification exams, like those given in Trinity, Cambridge, City and Guilds, and others.
Your goal may be to try to fit learning English abroad into your schedule
For busy people, who have very little spare time you will want a school that offers a flexible programme. Most schools offer courses that accommodate different schedules. Make sure that the school is aware of your schedule so they can customize your course accordingly.
Your goal may be to learn
- Business English
- Academic English, or
- English for tourists
Whatever your goal, finding a course taught by, native English speaking instructors is essential.
How do I know which English school and course to choose?
- Start by choosing your desired geographical location. For example: in a tropical location, in a warm climate, in a city, in the country…
- Since cost is a major factor for most students – make a list of schools in your chosen location by order of the cost of their standard course, including accommodation.
- Visit the websites of several English schools you’re interested in to find out the methodology and materials they use so you know it will fit your learning style.
- Narrow down your list of schools then begin contacting them and ruling out those that don’t meet your goals and criteria.
What else do I need to know about choosing an English school?
- You are investing a lot of time and money. Therefore, it is in your best interests to check on the certifications and licenses of the schools and teachers to ensure you will be receiving legitimate and proficient English instruction.
- It is important that the school you choose gives you the choice of what courses to take based on your goals and skill level, i.e. beginner or advanced.
- If you are going abroad during a peak period, such as the summer, schools typically employ temporary teachers just for these periods. These instructors may be inexperienced.
- Ask what kind of accommodation options the school offers. It is beneficial to attend a school that arranges home stays with families. Staying with a local family is the best way to learn about a new culture and be immersed in the language.
- To cut costs and ensure you are picking a recommended school, go with a group. Group organisers are familiar and knowledgable with all the schools out there. However, organisers do receive discounts from most language schools. Agents who organise these tours will choose the schools who give them the largest discounts, thus, they may not necessarily be the best schools.
Check if the school you choose is a professional one that employs qualified, experienced, native English speaking instructors and the school is committed to maintaining high standards.
Link School is a School of English in London. For more information about our range of English classes, Intensive English Courses, Evening English Courses, Weekend English Courses or Academic IELTS, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.